From:
"C. ten Broeke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 08:13:39 +0100
The colder a country is, the less people would take a bath. This is
ofcourse before we lived in central heated houses and such.
When I lived in Israel I started taking 2 or 3 showers every day like
most people.  It's hot, you're sweaty and it seemed a normal thing to
do.  Back in Holland in a cold drafty house at the time once a day
during the winter was wiser if you didn't want to catch a pneumonia.
The Eskimo's used to bath once a year and women wiped themselves with a
bit of moss after their periods.
Perfectly normal and natural if the environment is that cold.  You
wouldn't use precious bodyheath over something is unimportant as a bit
of odour ;-)
Nowadays you meet men that have seemingly marinated themselves in
deoderant and aftershave.  My sense of smell has always been good but on
Paleo I can smell them from across the street, no exaggeration.  Women
too sometimes have this trail of perfume behind them that makes my
throat choke. Strong soaps, deoderant, perfume, aftershaves, I've never
liked crowds but it seems to be getting worse lately. Just the smell of
all those people around me is a real bummer.  Honest workmen's sweat is
ok but old rancid sweat and artificial smells are terrible.
It seems right to say that on Paleo I become the animal I really am.
 Sharp sense of smell, clearer head in case of emergency, more in tune
with the day-night cycle  etc....
And becoming a bit of a social hermit too.  Going to bed early and
getting up early does nothing much for your social life. The smell at
parties of all the foods with preservtives, colouring and such is nog
funny anymore.  As I don't drink alcohol the sight of a room full of
people getting plastered is not a pretty one.
Next thursday I'm invited to a Reuters party in Amsterdam, the ultimate
test. Sturdy drinkers those journalists, let's see if I can make it
through the night.

Christy