From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 19:40:58 -0500
Rob Street <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Are cashews paleo?  I was told they are toxic before processing.

Both Ray and the raw-fooders consider them to be out. But as Hans wrote you
have to decide for yourself.

> Are
>there any "nuts" other than peanuts that are not paleo?

Ray has argued that macadamia nuts are paleo as they wouldn't have been
able to open them. This has been disputed on this list. I hope his next
edition doesn't prohibit them for that reason.

>What determines whether or not  a particular oil is paleo?

Are you using it in the same form as it exists in nature? Or, in other
words, can it be made without technology? Nut oils could be considered
paleo, but they oxidize quickly and better to just eat the nut. Ones I
consider paleo: olive, coconut, palm. I would think avocado oil, though I
don't know much about it.

>How is pork paleo if it is unsafe to eat raw?

Actually the trichinosis thing is no longer an issue.

>What is it about curing that make meats non-paleo?  I have yet to find
>uncured bacon - only bacon without nitrates.

The chemicals aren't paleo. Then you can find some just cured with salt,
but the salt content is extremely high. Uncured bacon is called pork side,
not bacon. The only place I've found it is in Chinese grocery stores.

>Eating marrow sounds very interesting to me.  Can anyone give a step by
>step, from type of animal to consumption?  Does it spoil?

Someone else can answer.

>I am a deer hunter, and have the opportunity to kill wild hogs as well.
>Does anyone know how to make bacon? ( uncured )

You get out your knife and slice it. Then toss it on a pan and cook it.

>Does anyone actually gather?  Any recommendations for someone in
>Lubbock, TX?

I don't know about people on this list, but there are people that do. It is
called ethnobotany. They have books, videos, and web sites. I point to some
at:

  The Paleolithic Diet Page:  http://www.panix.com/~paleodiet/

>Ray suggests ingesting herbs as an alternative to intoxication by
>alcohol.  Does anyone have recommendations? ( legal or otherwise )

Nope. Some here feel that wine and cider can be considered paleo, but
admittedly it is stretching it.

>To paleo pet-owners: How do I start my dog on paleo?  What about my cat?

Maybe we'll have a PaleoPet mailing list one of these days.

>What recommendations does anyone have as to dehydrators, food
>processors, and other staples of a 1998 paleo-kitchen?

See my kitchen equipment FAQ at: