From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 07:42:55 -0400
On Sun, 3 May 1998, Mary wrote:

> >Yes, it is a lot.  Most Americans get too much sodium.  You might
> >consider giving the potassium supplements to balance the picture
>
> How much potassium for a child? an adult?

I don't know, a few hundred milligrams should help.  Oscar Meyer
also has "lower sodium" bacon, I think, which just has less salt
in it.

> ... so it would make sense to counteract
> >the high polyunsaturated fat levels with the use of antioxidants.
>
> Such as Vitamin C?, or what else?

Vitamin E, since it's a fat-soluble vitamin.  200 IU per day
should be plenty.

The spice turmeric is also supposed to be quite good, and it is
arguably more paleo.  You can get capsules of the stuff.

> >Extremely low, I would think.  But glycemic index is a
> >measurement of the effect of a food on blood sugar, not on
> >intestinal flora.  I doubt that there's a high correlation
> >between the two.
> >
> But don't organisms such as candida love foods with a high glycemic index?

Up to a point, yes.  But meats have a moderate glycemic index
too, you know, even though they have no sugars.  Higher than many
vegetables.  I doubt that they appeal to candida organisms.

Incidentally, the supplement glucosamine sulfate, which many
people take for arthritis, is also supposed to help to restore
the lining of the gut.  I have heard the same claim made for aloe
vera juice, for something more paleo.

Caprylic acid and garlic are also good for getting rid of
candida.

> Also, regarding potassium, I was thinking to myself and realizing that in
> McDuck hamburger, and fries, there has to be a ton of sodium, at least as
> much as in the Oscar Meyer and/or health food store bacon, wouldn't you
> think? However, I would like to give them some potassium to balance out
the
> high sodium.

Absolutely.

> I think it was John P who said it well, we are all sick and yet it is the
> norm so no one realizes it.. Our kids are plied with sugar from am to pm
at
> school and everywhere else. This is not good for the intestinal flora and
> overall health status.

It's the truth.  And since food is an important tool of
socialization, it's a losing battle.  Kids will always place
socialization ahead of nutrition; it's part of their programming.

I think that if they can be encouraged to eat a reasonably
balanced blend of meats, vegetables, and fruits, they can
withstand the occasional sugar blast.  I think it is the
*constant* sugar loading that is most harmful.

> What kind of calcium supplements do you guys use,if any?

We're not using any at the moment.

Todd Moody