From:
Esben Grønborg Brun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:57:38 +0100
From: "Tom Barber"

> Does anyone have experience with lo-carb camping food?

------

I  dont have much experience, but I have some ideas that I will try out on my next hike:
( I used to eat lots of cereals - rice and pasta, on my previous hikes and canoe trips)

dried meat (jerky), dried fish , traditional commercial fatty and salty charcuterie (fatty bacon)
canned fish (in oil) - sardines , cod liver ,  tuna etc..
preserved (salted)  eggs ?  (like chinese "1000-Year-Old Eggs")
dried fruits (also sourish ones like cherries, apricots, apples)
dried mushrooms (commercial product) - makes a delicious soup (should be soaked for some hours)
dried vegetables ? dried herbs,  green tea  -  the leaves are edible and good for some types.
solid block of coconut fat /coconut meat (commercial product - tastes very good)
fatty  sun dried black olives   ;  olive oil
fresh garlic (keeps very well for weeks)  ; onions (keeps relatively well)
dried coconut (grated coconut)
nuts :  walnut, hazel,almonds,pine (fresh coconuts - if the weight is tolerable)

Normally I eat low carb, but I have never tried it when working hard like on a mountain hike.
I guess that  fat , instead of carbs  should  provide most of the energy.
Of course   pemmican   is the traditional  lo-carb camping food    -  I  havent tried it (yet)
I think I would like a more varied gourmet-style camp diet than pemmican.

Gathering, fishing and hunting  are of course the ultimate  paleo-style  camping food.
Pick  mushrooms, nuts, plants, berries  - mussels at the cost  (not much hunting/fishing skill is needed ;-)

Weight would an important issues when choosing foods.  When backpacking for several days
low weight is very important.  On a conoing trip weight is almost unimportant  -  and you could
even include some  pleasurable  (lo-carb)  red wine and  whisky ;-)

Esben