Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:09:00 -0700
Hi,

        I hope this is on-topic.  I know recently that some of you have mentioned
that weight gain occurs when one eats more than is necessary to be "full"
(whatever that is).  I have noticed that I only eat more than I should when
I am at work.  I am a computer programmer/systems analyst, and I spend most
of my day concentrating really hard.  This concentration could almost be
called painful at times, and it can definitely be called exhausting after 8
or 9 hours of it.  I work at CSU (same place as Loren Cordain, funnily
enough).  Does anyone know of a proven link between demanding mental work
and increased consumption of carbohydrates?  Protein doesn't give me what I
need, only carbs seem to help the mental load.  I also remember reading
somewhere that 60% of all energy consumption is in the brain, but I don't
have a reference for it.

        On occasion, I have been out of work, and I always eat less during these
times and lose weight.

        One thing I am sure of, mental exhaustion is definitely not paleo.

        Kat.