From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:52:52 -0500
>PS  You state: "And when we are at some kind of gathering where there is
>food,
>and we have to say no, thanks to the junk..."  I do have this sort of
>problem
>with my kid.   However, the source of the problem is the fact that there is
>multitude of conflicting health ideas out there.   If I were a vegan, I
>would
>have the same feeling about school teachers who take their classes to
>McDonalds
>on the way back from field trips.

Good point. (I accidentally sent my message before I was finished with it. I
type more quickly than my keyboard can deal with.) However, my concerns are
not simply because of my ideas about health. If Zoe eats certain foods
(especially wheat, eggs, dairy and soy...biggest problems, and most common)
she will spend the next two or three nights screaming in pain all night
long. Ordinarily, she sleeps peacefully for 10 hours a night. And so if we
were at a party, and she somehow ate a cracker or some cheese, that has
proven in the past to be enough to make her ill. We tell people that she is
"severely allergic" to these things, but most people don't even appreciate
*that*.

And so, what to do when you MUST keep your child away from these foods, but
they are so abundant in social situations? It seems the only real solution
is to avoid the social situation altogether. Bah.

Would appreciate any suggestions on that. Thanks.

Stacie