From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 2009 16:49:54 -0400
On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 09:49:01 -0400, Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Hi Ron:
>
>I think the poor image quality and background sometime obscures the spears
>which gave me the impression that sometimes they didn't have spears.
>
>But, the main runner's shoes seem to change - from one with a very white
>sole (see 3:15-16) to one which seems to be all brown. Maybe it got dirty
>.... :-)

One hunter has a spear, one a bow/arrows and spear and one a club. This is
fairly clear at 1:55. The one with the small club sometimes looks like he
doesn't have anything, because it's hard to see that thin little club. Plus
the spears and clubs are made of the local wood, so they blend in with it
(which is actually good from the hunters' perspective).

Good eyes re: the brown shoes. They appear to be the shoes of one of the
other hunters, as they don't show the upper body or face with it. It looks
like just a bit of liberty taken with the editing rather than evidence that
there was no hunt. Perhaps the BBC editor didn't have a good shot of Karoe's
white-soled feet and so used the brown-soled shoes for that feet shot,
figuring no one would watch as carefully as you did! LOL Such minor editing
discrepancies are surprisingly common in films.

The BBC has generally been a relatively trustworthy source, from what I've
seen (more so than US media in general), though not always, and the
information fits in with what I've learned elsewhere about the San hunters,
so I don't see any obvious shenanigans here, but it's good that someone is
checking things with a careful and skeptical eye.