From:
Lillian Alicia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 01:38:26 -0500
this is in response to stomach acids.

AS a midwife, I have to explain nutrition to my clients.  One of the
common complaints of pregnancy is indigestion.  So, I tell them two
things.....One is to chew food very very well.  THe other is to not
drink withtheir meal, or if they have to to just take sips.  The
reasoning is that the first step in digestion is the saliva.  It helps
to break down the food.  If not chewed properly not enough saliva
moves downto the stomach and it is then te stomach acids etc that have
to work overtime to digest the food. Drinking with the food means the
saliva gets diluted and still the stomach has t work a whole lot more.
Maybe one does not need so much more acid inthe stomach, but rahter to
drink less withtheir meal.

Hope this helps
Lillian