From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 13:26:35 -0400
Hans Kylberg wrote:

>Cranberries grow wild here in Sweden, one smaller variety in the southern
>part and a larger, better tasting, in the nothern part.

Growing wild there doesn't mean they are indigenous there. While I don't
have evidence that they only are indigenous to the New World, they is much
written about the Pilgrims finding them when they landed in New England. It
was originally called a crane berry because the fruit hung from the
multiple little stems or cranes, each berry by itself, and also from the
appearance of the delicate flower with its long central stamen which bears
a real or fancied resemblance to the long bill of a crane.

>Bananas are very special among fruits (grow on a herb rather than a tree
>or a bush), and originates from south east Asia. Do they have some
>somilar, edible relative in Africa? Otherwise, can we trust them?

My information on bananas says they were discovered along the Indus River
three centuries before Christ and brought to the New World in 1516. I find
the Indus River in Pakistan.

Don.