From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:15:01 -0500
> Time better spent on the difference between kidney fat and muscle fat
> in
> beef.
>
> William

This is a good question, William, and perhaps behind much of the
misunderstanding between pro-fat and anti-fat folks. It's true that there
are fat stores in wild animals in adipose tissues, such as the fat around
the kidneys and in the hump on camels and bison, but I have never seen as
much intramuscular fat in wild animals as I have in domesticated ones. I
think this is part of the reason why people like Cordain and Eaton recommend
trimming fat from meat. I believe it is mostly saturated fat in both cases,
but perhaps there is a difference in the fatty acid composition of the
saturated intramuscular fat in domestic animals vs. the normal saturated fat
stores in wild animals. Any variation from the wild norm is suspect, from a
Paleolithic/evolutionary perspective. Does anyone know what if any
differences there are in the fatty acid composition of domestic
intramuscular fat vs. wild kidney and hump fats?