From:
Buji Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 10:04:27 -0800
Hi-

I shop and cook for my wife and one son still at home, and I find that for
us paleo is quite a bit more expensive, mainly because rice and pasta were
the foundation of the old diet, the sauces etc mere mostly canned tomato and
onions and garlic that I made. Now we eat a little more fresh veg, and a
little less fruit, which probably balances, but way more meat and fish, and
of course no pasta or rice.

I'm a little qeasy about opening the fat spigot all the way, so I am
struggling to learn to cook lower-fat meat like rump roast, bottom round,
etc in an attractive way. So far my favorite is boiled beef with a
vinagrette sauce, or a mayo-horseradish sauce.

I can't seem to make pork the way I would like to, by the time its done, its
dry. Last week I roasted a pork tenderloin, and took it out at 160F, and it
was great. But it was slightly pink, and we all were a little nervous.

Even chicken. I roast it on a rack, but the roast chicken I bring home from
the store is better than mine. Again, too dry. Does anyone have experience
with the spit cookers that are around now? When I have time to cook outside,
rotisserie chicken or meat is really good.

My wife is a really good cook, but she is a full time student now, and so
its up to me, and so far I feel that my skill is a little underwhelming! Any
suggestons would be most welcome.

Thanks for reading, - Michael