From:
Lisa Sporleder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 22:33:37 ADT
> * L-glutamine-- which is supposedly the only compound other than glucose
> that can fuel the brain;

It is my understanding that the majority of the brain's tissue can
(and actually prefers to) use ketones as fuel, and that in the human
body, only a portion of the brain stem (as well as red blood cells)
must metabolize *only* glucose, or in the above reference, glutamine.
 While I'm not denying the uses for L-glutamine, I think that folks
(not saying *you* personally, as we are both just repeating what we
have learned elsewhere) touting that the brain can only use glucose
for fuel are WAY over-generalizing the issue. Otherwise there would
be a lot of ketogenic dieters dropping over with brain damage.
Example, the epileptic kids on a restricted-protein ketogenic diet
(to limit gluconeogenesis) who remain in high levels of ketosis for
months at a time.

> * Glucose Tolerance Factor chromium-- again, taken to stabilize blood
> sugar and reduce my carb cravings  200 mcg 2-3 times a day

I've never noticed a difference between the expensive GTF chromium
and the *much* cheaper chelated chromium supplement that I buy.  One
of the reasons GTF chromium is effective is because it *is*
chelated, but it isn't the only chelated form of the mineral, and
any chelated form is going to be more easily and fully assimilated
by the body than a non-chelated form.

> weak 1:1 calcium/magnesium supplement (the latter to replace my loss
> of these minerals when I gave up dairy; I'm figuring H-Gs got their
> calcium

Another thing you might want to check into is vitamin D, which works
together with the cal/mag (which is why they put it in milk!).  When
I quit the moo juice, I noticed that during the darker times of the
year (fall to spring), I need to supplement with a vit D cap.  Does
amazing things for my energy levels (not to mention winter sanity).
In the summer, when I can manufacture enough D from sunlight, I don't
need the supplement.

If you are looking to grind your own non-gluten flours, I've had good
luck with pulverizing rolled oats into oat flour in my blender.  It
works quicker than the coffee grinder because it can handle more
volume.  Never tried whole hard grains in it though.  Or how about
experimenting with sprouted grain bread?  A hypoglycemic friend of
mine buys a 7-sprouted-grain bread that contains no ground grains.
For him, it is a good trade-off:  he can buy it in the nutrition
section of the grocery store and it keeps his blood glucose levels
stable.

I haven't noticed the need for grains even when I'm lifting.  The
only carb-based concession I make to my exercising is that if I do
my lifting mid-afternoon or later and haven't eaten yet that day, I
try to eat an apple shortly before my workout.  For me, that was
enough to do the trick, and is still paleo.  I've tried other
fruits, but an apple works best for me without causing cravings
later (or the 3 p.m. sleepies!).  For cardio days, I don't need the
carbs at all, and am fine with my regular fare.