Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:40:09 -0700
Todd > I think this study,
> http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=1368980 is a good one, and deserves to be better known.

Agreed.

> It's interesting that there was more lean muscle loss on both the lowcarb and low-fat diets than on the unsaturated fat diet; I wouldn't have expected that.

Take a look at Manninen's response to that:

"The authors suggested that a very-low-carbohydrate diet (VLCARB) may
not be associated with protein-sparing, because their dual-energy X-ray
absorptiometry (DEXA) data indicated that both VLCARB and very-low-fat
diet resulted in significantly more loss of lean mass than the
high-unsaturated fat diet. It should be noted, however, that DEXA
provides a measure of lean soft tissue (LST), and the original notion
that LST hydration is constant is not correct. Rather, LST hydration
varies as a function of extra- and intracellular water distribution
[16]. I feel it is very unlikely that the VLCARB group catabolized more
muscle protein than the high-unsatured fat diet group."
http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1373635