From:
ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:21:01 -0500
On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:52:41 -0500 Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

> I've seen this book.  It's rubbish.  Grains are the seeds of
> grasses, but I'd love to know when early humans were eating
> grass.

Ardeith writes:
I'll have to accept your opinion of the above mentioned
book as I have not seen it.....but every kid I've ever
known has pulled grass stems and nibbled the tender
bit near the root.....and also pulled off the seedheads
and nibbled on them.....most taste a bit sweet........
it seem likely to me that our ancestors did the same....
as well as tossing the seedheads in the pot - when
they developed the ability to make a pot to stew
things in.     Of course this is a long way from planting
wheat (a grass)....reaping it, and making bread.....
after milling away the only part of the wheat that
could possibly be good for you.....but I'm sure our
ancestors utilized everything in their environment
that was edible....including grass seedheads.......
they just didn't depend on the grains as we do

Walk The Path With Practical Feet!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.