From:
Barbara Sheppard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:45:44 +0900
Jonas Amoson wrote:

>Yesterday, as I was browsing my dictinary, I looked up the word PALEO,
>and found that it could be spelt PALAEO (PAL=C6O?) so I searched the
>archives for postings using this spelling, but there were not many.
>
>Anyone?

I'm happy to use 'palaeo' if you like :)

For consistency, those of us who prefer 'palaeo' (the British spelling,
also used here in Australia) have been deferring to the much larger number
of US members on this list. (Well, I guess I can only speak for myself,
really.)

Of course one could also argue that, while the word 'pal(a)eolithic' has
been around for quite some time in both its forms, in the discussions we
have here, 'paleo' is generally used as a shortened form of 'paleodiet'. I
would think that this is a fairly new word that was coined in the US, and
therefore perhaps the US spelling should be regarded as the correct one.

Whatever - it's neither here nor there. It's the issues that are important,
after all.

Regards,
Barbara