From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 19:59:26 -0600
>Date:    Mon, 28 Dec 1998 11:36:08 -0600
>From:    Julie Jarvis RPA-C <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Neanderthals and Hunting
>
>I saw a very interesting segment of a show on the Discovery Channel on
>Saturday night.

I saw the same show.  This theory has been circulating for at least a
couple of years.  The data do seem sound.

>They didn't discuss use of the atlatl, or they fact that their diet
probably allowed them to
>heal fast.

That's an assumption, maybe that's why they didn't mention it.

If any of you have come across a written version of this
>study (Ray??), let me know.

There is an article in a past National Geographic on Neanderthals that
you should check into.  Search for Neanderthals in National Geographics
in the last 2-3 years, maybe a little more.

Also note that modern humans appear to have descended from Cro-Magnon
Man, not Neanderthals.

In fact, one reason Neanderthals may have died out was their diet or
hunting techniques.  Maybe they couldn't adapt when their prey died out.

James Crocker
"Taking a new step...is what people fear most."
 - Dostoyevski