From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 23:06:18 +0000
On Dec 11, 2005, at 7:48 pm, Robert Kesterson wrote:

> You're might be on to something there.  I actually wondered if the
> fats in
> the nuts might be behind it.
> How much dietary fat should be typical?  I average about 40% of my
> daily
> calories from fat (about 130 grams/day), the rest fairly evenly split
> between carbs and protein.

On days when I'm not eating a lot of carbs, I aim to get 2/3 to 3/4
of my calories from fat, the rest from protein.  When I eat more
carbs (eg a lot of fruit), I find I still eat the same amount of fat
and protein, but obviously the proportion will drop.

If you are eating 130g of fat a day (about 1200Cal) and that is 40%
of your calories, then you must be eating about 3000Cal a day.
That's a feast and a half!  But it would mean you are eating only
900Cal from protein a day, which is about the proportion I eat.
900Cal of carbs is a lot though- about 9 bananas or 20 apples if my
memory is right.  I can't see any risk of rabbit starvation really-
or risk of any sort of starvation for that matter!!!

> I wouldn't really call it "binge".  Whenever I get a craving, a
> handful of
> almonds or a half-dozen brazil nuts will satisfy it. And I don't
> really
> crave fruits -- I rarely want anything more than two pieces of
> fruit at a
> sitting.

Maybe if you don't eat a lot of nuts it's not fat deficiency but I
guess you won't know unless you have a few high-fat days.  When I
foolishly ate high-protein, I found I never craved nuts, but when I
started eating them I could get through several hundred grams at a
time (I rarely want more than 100g at a time now).  Same with fruit,
especially dried fruit, but I tended to crave that more.

How long have you been eating paleo- and what does your diet
generally consist of?  I find that most people starting paleo
continue to eat the same cuts of meat as before (eg steak) and this
is what causes them to struggle.  (Having said that I ate lean cuts
for about 6 months before I realised what I was doing).  Just check
your sums again as it's very easy to misjudge what you are eating.

Ashley