Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:06:23 -0500
I wish I could eat bananas but I have a very serious latex allergy from
work, having worn latex gloves for 27 years. I recently (2 weeks ago) had
to have surgery and it all had to be latex free. Actually it was kind of
comical as it was the first latex free surgery they had done with a truly
allergic person. I react to latex within a minute if exposed - so the
comedy was that they had to post signs on anywhere I was, bed, rooms and
surgery theatre. Everything has latex from gloves to surgical tools, blood
pressure cuffs etc. They were all excited to do a latex free environment as
it tested their skills for the future they even have a special sign
for 'TIME OUT' and check for latex. Well anyway the point I wanted to make
is the list below is what I can't eat because of latex.
IT SUCKS!!!
• High cross-reactivity — bananas, avocados, chestnuts;
   • Moderate reactivity — apples, carrots, celery, papaya, kiwi, potatoes,
tomatoes and melon;
   • Low or undetermined reactivity — pears, peaches, cherries, pineapple,
strawberries, figs, grapes, apricots, passion fruit, rye, wheat, grass,
ragweed, mugwort, hazelnuts, walnuts, soybeans and peanuts.
FOR MORE INFO A LINK..
http://www.pacpubserver.com/new/health/a-b/hm050799.html
Well I am off to run 15 miles for my Los Angeles Marathon training. I am
carrying some non allergic dried fruit and hope it doesn't rain!!
 MARI =^.^=