From:
Marianne Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:13:40 -0500
someone was asking about canned fish, and I remembered that Dr. Cordain made
it sound pretty bad. So I looked up canned fish in the Paleo Diet last
night. He says the canning process removes most of the vitamins A, B1, B2,
niacin and B6 from the fish. Worse, he said it "increases the level of
oxidized cholesterol in the fish, specifically a molecule called
25-hydroxycholesterol that is extremely destructive to the linings of
aterial blood vessels - so destructive that oxidized cholesterol is
routinely fed to lab animals to accelerate artery clogging in order to test
theories of heart disease." So it kind of sounds like canned fish should be
avoided as much as possible . . .