From:
Maddy Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:47:30 EDT
In a message dated 9/17/02 8:53:36 AM, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]
writes:

(Maddy Mason wrote)
<< > Next down the list we find allergies to seasonal foods such as certain
tree
> nuts, eggs, strawberries, citrus fruits, shellfish, (nowadays many of these
> are farmed) peppers, tomatoes, etc.

That's a good point, and it underscores the fact that even though
a food is "paleo" it may still cause problems for some.

Are shellfish seasonal?  I seem to recall some hardy souls back
in Rhode Island "bullraking" clams in the dead of winter.

And folks in Minnesota "enjoy" ice fishing in the winter too! I'm sure there
will always be some hardy souls everywhere, but they may be more the
exception than the rule. But to answer your question, I do believe that
shellfish are seasonal. (Humans are among the few creatures on Earth capable
of breeding all year round.) Even in fish markets, certain types of shellfish
are available at certain times of year. I'm no seafood expert, so perhaps
I'll ask a few questions next time I visit the fish market.

Maddy Mason---------> Braving the bitter cold temperatures of the chest
freezer in the garage to harvest Alaskan salmon steaks for dinner!