Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 12:46:30 -0400
Rick Strong posted:
day, mine lasts months.  I cannot bring myself to pitch it b/c it doesn’t
taste or smell rancid at all....  I recall Rachel Matesz
(I think) suggesting topping the opened bottle off with a little water but
wouldn’t the water just end up under the lighter oil??

My reply:
The purpose of the water (added to the bottle) is to displace air in the
bottle that would otherwise cause oxidation.  When you buy a brand new
bottle it is almost full and has been flushed with nitrogen (I believe) for
protection.

Besides filling the bottle with water as you remove the oil....you can pour
some of the oil into a smaller bottle and keep it in the freezer or keep the
entire bottle in the freezer.  Fish oil, like flax oil, won't freeze solid.
You can actually take a bottle of either from the freezer, pour out what you
need, then return the entire bottle to the freezer.  That will extend the
shelf life.

Buy the smallest bottle you can find (an 8-oz. rather than 16 oz. bottle).
I would not throw out the oil that is left after a few weeks; that strikes
me as terribly wasteful and unnecessary.

I don't know about the book you mention----never heard of it---but if you
feel good doing it, I see no harm, provided you choose nutritious carb
sources.  Eating more fruits or carb rich vegetables would provide a lot of
vitamins, minerals, antioxidants.... Btw:  Jay Robb, author of the Fat
Burning Diet advocates low carbing, interspersed with a high carb, low-fat
meal every three days.  He swears by it for fat burning and muscle gain.

Cheers,
Rachel