From:
Alison Ashwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:01:07 +0100
Sheryl Canter wrote:

>I very strongly disagree.  For starters, I must point out that you are not a
>woman (I don't think "Wally" is a woman's name--correct me if I'm wrong).
>Compulsive eating, like anorexia, is almost entirely a woman's problem.  Be
>very careful about extrapolating from yourself!!!!

There are many male anorexics - it isn't just a woman's problem by any
means.
http://www.anorexicweb.com/IdRatherBeDead/maleanorexiaexist.html
http://www.ltspeed.com/bjblinder/publications/4.htm
http://www.caringonline.com/eatdis/topics/males.htm

>.  With this mindset, I can eat a (mostly) paleo
>diet without being triggered to eat compulsively--out of a feeling of
>deprivation.

I don't feel deprived on a low carb near paleo diet, and it hasn't
triggered binging or compulsive eating once despite battling for years
with anorexi/blimia. The anorexics who don't die tend to become obese I
have realised from my informal study of other people who stop being
anorexics , move through bulimia and into the compulsive gorging on
carbs - particularly wheat or potato based carbs
My longstanding issues [20+ years] with the anorexia/bilimia/compulsive
eating continuum have ended with stabilising my blood glucose on low
carb. Of course all the attendant things like losing 86lbs , improving
my health and energy enormously and getting under 26%BF are a bonus on top
30 months of not obsessing with food and actually haveing a normal
satiety response and a hunger response for the first time is amazing. I
had never experienced real hunger or the feeling of 'enough' rather than
crammed before .

Alison