From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 10:21:29 -0600
>Therefore, the most important thing we can
>do is to use our brains and try to be moderate in following this diet.
>Expect varying degrees of commitment and a wide range of opinion about
> >this.

That said, here's my $.02 worth...

I try to be pretty gung ho in following this, myself.  But I have both a
couple of "I'll do it my ways" and a few restrictions.

"I'll do it my way!"
some butter (not every day but a couple times a week)
peanuts every now and then (a great snack available just about anywhere)
oil & (gasp!) vinegar (oil & lemon juice on my sald just ain't the same)
times when I cheat, approximately once in a blue moon (life's short; live
and forgive)

As for restrictions, I'd love to only grass fed meat or wild game and wild
fish but the times are, ahem, kind of tight and that's just not an option at
the moment.  I'll do if I finally start making what I'm worth (dammit).  The
same holds true for produce.  I'd like to by as close to au natural as
possible but this is tough, financially.  And don't forget that even the
most natural produce out there (with only a few exceptions) aren't what they
were just 100 years ago, much less 100K years ago.  So to a certain extent,
we're ALL restricted.

As for how much of this, that and the other, one size does not fit all.  I
look at it this way; maybe there IS some magic formula (not written in
stone, but you know what I mean) that would fit us all like a nice glove IF
we'd eaten this way from day one.  For example, I know I have a few hormones
that aren't where they should be and I'm hyperinsulinemic.  If I'd never let
Wonder Bread, Twinkies and homogenized milk pass lips, who knows?  None of
the above may have manifested themselves.  But they did, so I'm using this
concept to relatively successfully take care of them.  And the only thing
that works is keeping my carbs down and my fat up with a good amount of
protein in there (although I'm eating more ultra-low carb veggies, more fat
and less protein than before and things are lookin' good; it's still
probably lower in carbs than what others of us eat).

Sorry, that turned into at least a dollar's worth. :)

Dori Zook