From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 06:58:45 -0500
On Tue, 3 Jul 2001 12:28:28 -0400, Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Amadeus, perhaps you simply got a bit older, as people get older (past
>their
>early twenties) anecdotally I would observe that in general acne diminishes
>greatly.

The coincidence with my diet change could be by accident.
However my mother had acne up to the 30's.

>Possible culprits:
>1. too much SFA
>2. too much MUFA
>3. too much w6 PUFA and too little w3
>4. too much meat
>5. chocolate and perhaps other New World foods such as tomatoes, eggplants,
>potatoes
>6. hydrogenated fat

Your culprit list may well be summed up into a prostaglandin production
problem (except #5).
As in my first assumption to incriminate w-3/6 ratio... together with
some other factors like dietary AA and other EFA hindering effects (low EFA
percentage, trans-fats).

Todd wrote:

>> ...w-3 ratio...
> That would be my guess, too, but is increased oil production
> actually a sign of inflammation?  For that matter, what is the
> relation between skin oils and acne?

As Rachel pointed out, the onset of hormone production increases the skin
oil production. My doctors explained that oil deposits on the skin
(blackheads) are populated by bacteria, which ...cause inflammation?
I think a healthy skin shouldn't mind additional bacteria,
an inflammated skin of course is made worse by bacteria.

I always had a skin with much skin fat, and I enjoy it up to to now
-- I hardly ever need to use skin cremes etc.
But now, the oil doesn't disturb my skin.

The acne effect of chocolate and nuts, I think should be traced back to
allergy-like reaction this food items can induce.
Btw. how's the AA load from nuts?

regards

Amadeus
Good that your acne protected you from war, Todd.
My gradfather came home with skin eczemas in the big war.
Unfortunately our home made medcine (from sheep) cured him
quickly, so that he had to go back to war .. too soon.
He was killed. I never saw him.