From:
Susan Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 00:11:25 -0700
>Chia seems to be the herb sage.

>>I've never eaten either one, but according to USDA the chia seeds
>>have an astonishingly favorable ratio of .8.
>
>The actual herb sage has an even more astonishing ratio of .43.
>It only has 1.2 grams per 100 grams though, so you would need to
>eat a LOT of it :)

Chia is not what we call sage, but is a plant used by the Pima Indians
in the southwest. The seeds, when wet, make a lot of clear gel. This is
supposed to be very healthy. When the Pima Indians go back to their
original diet, including chia seeds and plants like Devil's Claw,
they stop being obese and diabetic. On "normal" supermarket food,
they are ALL very fat, and 60% are diabetic, the highest rate of any
people known.

I've tried chia seeds. In water, they are bland, slightly crunchy,
and surrounded by the gel. You'd have to eat a lot of them to feel
full, though.

SusanK