Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 19:04:53 -0400
Hey Judy,

Count me in!!!  I had a blast at the macrobiotic camp I went to (where I met
you and we worked side by side chopping vegetables and chatting with the
rest of the kitchen crew.  I also enjoyed  the four macrobitoic conferences
I attended in Sothern Cal.  It was a great experience.   I always met
interesting people and still stay in contact with some other folks. The food
was always a feast to the eyes and the taste buds.  The cooks were always
top notch and there were many classes to choose from.

The Macro conferences I attended in San Diego and Santa Barbara usually
attracted 200-300+ people.  People who lived in the conference area often
came for the day or evening but did not sleep on site.  Those who lived in
the area often served as *shuttle crew* picking people up at the airport and
taking them to the conference site: a retreat center or resort hotel.

Special discount airfare was set up along with a cut rate on rooms (at the
resort hotel) due to the number of people attending.  Often the cooks,
cooking instructors, exercise instructors, and others who were "on staff"
but not married would share rooms (with four to six women or men to a room
with extra cots to sleep on).  There were always plenty of work study
options.  Those who "worked" got free meals, free accomodations (sharing
rooms), could attend classes for free, and in some cases got stipends which
covered air fare and made for fun, expense paid *working vactations* that
were more play than work!!!

It was always fun to see some of the same people (teachers and attendees)
each year.  Imagine being in a dining room filled with 200, 300 or more
people all eating Paleo food!!!!  No one would poke at what you eat or think
you were strange!  You'd made new friends, have so much fun sharing, and
learn so much!

Judy is right, people would come from all over the U.S. and from other
countries.  It was worth it to them for the kinship, learning, connecting,
etc.  Some people came to such events as an introductions to a whole new way
of eating and living(brought along by a friend or relative!).  Some looked
forward to the events all year! It didn't seem to matter if they were from
the location where the event was held; most were not.  It made them
interesting.

One high-point of these 4 1/2-5 day conferences (for me!!) was the party and
disco night, the night before everyone went home.  I've been hoping that
when we have some Paleo-camps or conferences... many of us would have fun
dancing 'till the wee hours.  I've heard primmitive and modern HGs loved to
dance!!!  Why break tradition??!!

Btw:  These events were well planned and thougth out.  A lot of energy went
into making them happen, long before the mailers went out.  There were many
things to orchestrate.  If we were doing this on a smaller scale initially,
or doing a more rustic approach it would not be as costly or as complicated
to host.

How rustic a Paleo conference is/will be will affect the degree of planning,
the number of scheduled events, the caliber of speakers we can attract, the
amount of free food and other sponsorship goodies we could solicit from
various companies.  Those who have been on the inside at conferences may be
able to band together to help plan and orchestrate some future pale camps
and conferences.   Maybe we could eventually have events several times a
year in different locales.

Think of what you would pay for travel, food, accomodations, transportation
(in plac eyou visit) and entertainment.  At a paleo conference, you'd get
all the great benefits of a vacation, plus fabulous food and fun people to
hang out with who share some similar interests.  I think it would be such a
high for so many people.

Can't wait!!!

Rachel

PS.  I'm so glad you posted this. I had a conversation with another Paleo
person, maybe six or eight months ago, about the idea of eventually planning
a paleo conference.  Those who are single just might meet a future husband
or wife at the next paleo conference!!!