Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 10:07:29 -0400
> From:    Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]> said:

> 2) I was told to stop using my sea salt because it is not "iodized" -- that
> the iodine evaporates during the harvesting process of sea salt, and that
> if I didn't use an iodized salt I wouldn't be providing my thyroid with
> what it needs to produce adequate hormones. (By the way, I have had
> hypothyroid condition in the past).

My response:

When salt is dried at high temperatures the iodine is evaporated. This
is
not the case with truly sun dried (as opposed to kiln dried) sea alt.
The
catalog listed below has information about the traditional harvesting
methods for the unrefined, sun dried, mineral rich sea salt they sell
which
I've used for about 15 years.

Most commercial sea salt--is just pure sodium chloride (99.99%).
There was
a discussion last Nov. or Dec. (check the archives) on sea salt.. I
posted
information about CELTIC SEA SALT which has over 83 different trace
minerals, and contains less socium and more moisture than conventional
(refined) sea salt.  Celtic sea salt is (only about 84% sodium
chloride) not
kiln dried---it is dried in the sun in the tradition off the coast of
Brittany.  It is coarse (unless you buy the finer grade which cost
more),
but can be left to dry on a plate, then put into a salt grinder or
ground in
a mortar with a pestle.

Jacques de Langre wrote some fascinating articles and a book on this
kind of
sea salt.  He helped bring it to America. Many people into
macrobiotics have
used it.  His book is sold through Natural Lifestyle Supplies, listed
below.

THe flavor of truly sun-dried, mineral rich sea salt is far superior
to that
of the cheap/refined sea salts, including most of what is sold in
health
food stores.  It brings out a wonderful flavor in food.  You can send
for a
catalog which incluedes several brands of natural, sun dried, mineral
rich
(unrefined) sea salt.  These sea salts have no bleaches, no anticaking
agents, no aluminum, nor any other preservatives or additives added.
Once
you try CELTIC SEA SALT, MURAMOT, OR LIMA sea salt, you'll wonder
how/why
you ate the other stuff for most of your life.  My cooking students
are
amazed at the difference in taste when they replace refined salt or
refined
sea salt with Celtic Sea Salt or one of the others listed in recipes.
It
does not taste sharp, bitter, or metalic---it makes foods taste
sweeter,
richer, even sometimes buttery (certain vegetales, or grains, when I
was
into grains)

Contact Natural Lifestyle Supplies 1-800-752-2775 (They are in
Ashveille,
North Carolina).  Most of the products in the catalog are not paleo,
but
many are good and helpful.  They have food and non-food itmes.

Sea vegetables are a natural source of iodine, so are fish and
shellfish.
Dulse seaweed can be eaten raw or lightly toasted on a dry pan in a
200-250
degree oven until just crisp (about 20 minutes) or left all night in a
gas
oven with only the pilot light on.  When crisp, put in a widmouth
quart jar.

Dulse is delicious crumbed and sprinkled over cooked eggs, salads,
steamed
vegetables, added to deviled eggs, egg salad, or mixed with walnuts
for a
treat.  It's salty so you'd probably want to eat it in meals or on
foods
with little or no added salt.  I might use a handful or two for a
large
whole meal salad or a plate with 2 eggs, some bacon or leftover
chicken or
fish and 1-2 cups of steamed or sauteed greens.

Wild nori (not the same as sushi nori sold in sheets), sea, palm and
alaria
(American sea weeds,  like dulse, may also be toasted, or soaked,
simmered,
then added to salads.

Kelp (American) or kombu (Japanese) may be added to stews or soups if
you
make them.  Alaria (American variety) or wakame (Japanese) may be
added to
soups or stews.  Hijiki or amame (Japanese plants) can be soaked and
simmered also...

New Zealand nori, can't recall the name, is great raw or lightly
toated.
It's crinkly.  I had a small bag of it once.