PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:33:55 -0400
Tamsin O'Connell wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>Much as I enjoy the lively discussion going on, can I just suggest that we
>all move away from the 'individual as proof of a theory' idea?

I'm going to use this suggestion as an opportunity to issue a gentle
reminder that this list is meant to occupy a niche somewhere in between
an academic journal (which it cannot be) and a chat list (which it
could).  What we want to do here is share our research, challenge each
others' ideas, and so forth.  Ideally, those doing scholarly work in the
relevant fields will benefit by the exchanges, and the rest of us will
be edified.  For this reason, posts of a purely anecdotal nature are to
be avoided, and I will make an effort to restrict them.  That doesn't
mean that anecdotes are forbidden on this list, but if present they
should be used as a supplement to actual research that is adduced,
rather than the whole content of a message.

I will also hold back messages that consist of just a line or two of
"rejoinder" to a longer quoted message.

The point is by no means to stifle discussion.  This list has been
dormant for a while and the recent  and current  discussions are
excellent.  I also don't want to give the impression that only the
publishing scholars are welcome to post messages.  But any one of us
can, with a bit of effort, do a bit of digging and be a "scholar" for
purposes of this list.

That's all.  Carry on.

Todd Moody
listop