PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barry Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:31:01 +0100
Hi Todd

The problem with these studies is that modern clinical trials are conducted
in the wrong context -- that of a 'healthy', processed-carbohydrate,
relatively low-fat diet. The addition of fibre to diet might mitigate the
effects of such diets but don't address the causes. There are also
contradictory studies in the modern literature, which show low levels of
cancer in peoples with a low-fibre, high meat intake, and increases of
cancers with increasing dietary fibre. There are also "paradoxes":

1. Lyon JL, Gardner JW, et al . Low cancer incidence and mortality in Utah.
Cancer 1977; 39: 2608
2. Dietary studies of cancer of the large bowel in the animal model . In
Vahouny GV, Kritchevsky D (Eds). Dietary Fibre: Basic and Clinical Aspects .
Plenum, New York. 1986. p 469
3. Wasan HS, Goodlad RA. Fibre-supplemented foods may damage your health.
Lancet 1996; 348: 319-20.
4. Fuchs CS, et al . Dietary Fiber and the Risk of Colorectal Cancer and
Adenoma in Women. New Engl J Med 1999; 340: 169-176, 223-224.
5. Smith-Warner SA, et al. Intake of Fruits and Vegetables and Risk of
Breast Cancer: A Pooled Analysis of Cohort Studies. JAMA . 2001; 285:
769-776.
6. Tokudome S, Nagaya T, Okuyama H, et al. Japanese versus Mediterranean
Diets and Cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2000;1(1):61-66.

To get the right answers we need to look at older epidemiological studies:
those of Weston Price, Stefansson, McCarrison, Boyd Orr, et al, on such
peoples as the Maasai, Watusi, Berbers, Marsh Arabs, Neurs, Nagas, Inuit,
etc. (Unfortunately, these peoples are much more difficult to study now as
the diets of many have been adulterated by contact with Western society.) If
we look at this evidence, we find no relation between saturated fat intake
or meat intake and any cancers.

I don't tend to rely on animal studies as, although there are many
similarities between us and other mammals, when it comes to diet there are
significant confounding factors.

Barry Groves
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk