PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Andrew Millard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Millard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 08:58:58 +0100
Staffan Lindeberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The composition of fatty acids (FA) in serum cholesterol esters (CE) to
> some extent reflects FA intake. We measured CE-FA in subsistence
> horticulturalists of Kitava, Trobriand Islands (1, 2). Despite a very low
> intake of total fat and palmitic acid (16:0, the dominating saturated fatty
> acid in the West), the level of CE16:0 was higher in Kitava than in Sweden.

This can be paralleled by the results of controlled feeding experiments in
pigs.  Stott et al [1] measured the stable isotope composition of
individual lipids as part of a study to investigate the routing of dietary
carbon into different body tissues.  They examined bone lipids to enhance
our understanding of studies on bone lipids from archaeological
populations.  They found that the C13 content of fatty acids (16:0, 18:0
and 18:1) and cholesterol reflected accurately the isotopic compostion of
the whole diet, but that of linoleic acid (18:2), an essential fatty
acid, reflected direct incorporation from the diet.  Further studies are
underway by the same workers to examine the isotopic compostion of lipids
in rats fed on diets with controlled isotopic compositions of various
components [2].

[1] Stott, AW, Davies, E, Tuross, N & Evershed RP (1997)  Monitoring the
routing of dietary and biosynthesised lipids through compound-specific
stable isotope (delta C-13) measurements at natural abundance
Naturwissenschaften 84 (2) 82-86

[2] Jim, S, Stott, AW, Ambrose, SH, Rogers, JM, Tuross, N & Evershed, RP
"Compound specific stable isotope analysis of bone lipids: tracing the
dietary carbon flux into animals raised on isotopically controlled diets."
Paper presented at Archaeological Sciences '97 Durham 2-4 September 1997,
Durham, UK

 Dr. Andrew Millard                              [log in to unmask]
 Department of Archaeology, University of Durham,   Tel: +44 191 374 4757
 South Road, Durham. DH1 3LE. United Kingdom.       Fax: +44 191 374 3619
                      http://www.dur.ac.uk/~drk0arm/