PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barry Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 07:33:12 +0100
Yes, Don, I am sure you are right.

It may also be related to the way they eat. I have listed a number of
differences below, but perhaps the most significant difference may be that
meals around the Mediterranean aren't eaten on the run, under stress. (The
various differences below are to be read together -- Mediterranean 1 with
British 1, and so on)

Mediterranean Eating Pattern
1. The average Mediterranean diet comprises natural, unprocessed meat,
vegetables and fruit, which are usually bought fresh daily.
 2. Meat plays an important part in the diet,
3. Meals are taken slowly, without hurrying. Lunch usually takes up to two
hours -- and is followed by a siesta.
4. Fats eaten are butter, olive oil and unprocessed animal fats
5. Over 60 percent of energy intake is before 2.00 pm
6. Wine (believed to be protective againt heart disease), is drunk during
meals as part of that meal.

British Eating Pattern
1. The average British diet is composed of packaged, highly processed foods,
high in concentrated carbohydrates, hydrogenated vegetable oils and
chemical additives.
2. We are told to eat less meat
3. Food is rushed. Lunches are eaten on the run or combined with work.
Often, they are junk food snacks.
4. Fats eaten are highly processed margarines, low fat fat substitutes, and
hydrogenated vegetable oils.
5. The largest meal is eaten in the evening
6. Beer, wines and spirits are drunk in the evening after the evening meal.

Barry Groves
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk