PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dick Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 02:29:29 -0400
Steve Meyers posted:

> Fat in the Paleolithic Diet

[..]

Might this help?

Kenneth L Feder in _The_Past_in_Perspective_ Mayfield 1996 isbn
1-55934-384-2 refers to megafauna hunting ~18-10kya.  He cites finds
of kills of woolly rhino & mammoth, various bison and deer and horse.

Would 10kya old members of species that exist today have fat content
much different from that of modern examples?  Do we know anything
about body fat of the now extinct woolly rhino and mammoth?

If I recall correctly _PP_ acknowledges a wide variation of reliance
on animal food sources; cites the extreme of the Eskimo/Inuit's heavy
reliance on seal and other high fat animals, ~95% of diet; also
extremes in other regions where HG folk lean toward vegetable food.

Someone recently noted that reliance on modern HGs as models for
paleolithic HGs is somewhat uncertain.

Dick
http://smith.syr.edu/~ddawson