PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dana Carpender <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:15:03 -0500
Bob Avery wrote:

> Don,
>

> >I know of no evidence indicating that any known modern human tribe ever
> maintained itself on an all raw food diet. Stefansson reported that even
> the
> Eskimos ate much of their food cooked.
>
> I don't know of any such tribes either, but I know of individuals such as
> myself who do so, and with superior health results to show for it.
>
> >Cooked plant food, on the other hand, is a viable fallback food for
> early
> humans because it fits the changes in digestive anatomy and solves the
> ecological problems of surviving periods of food scarcity.
>
> What's likely to "fall back" are your gum lines when you eat it.  In 10
> years of all raw, I have had NO new cavities or any increase in
> periodontal disease, yet my teeth are full of existing holes from my
> prior cooked diet.  I believe that cooked food is the primary cause of
> dental caries, which is certainly not a natural occurrence.

Data point:  I have been eating a low carb diet, pretty much balanced
between meat, poultry, eggs, low carb vegetables, and nuts and seeds,
with almost all cooked proteins, more raw veg than cooked, but certainly
some cooked veg, for 8 years now.  I, too, have superb health to show
for it.  I also have no new cavities, nor any gum disease, though I had
none before, either.  (I have never had a cavity, never had more than
transient gum disease, and that as a sugar addicted kid, never had
braces, still have all four wisdom teeth.  Cheap mouth!)

  However, my husband, who eats pretty much the same as I, did indeed
have teeth that were rotting away before -- and has had not a single new
cary since going low carb 8 years ago.  His blood work and health are
stellar, as well.

--
Dana