PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
jean-louis tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 09:14:04 +0200
As I live in France and I've spent one year in the United States, I think I
am in a good position to compare
both diets and eating patterns:

1. Breakfast: mainly consists of bread, butter and jam. Although none of
these foods are part of a Paleolithic diet, breakfast is usually much
lighter (in terms of calories) than the average American breakfast.

2. Main meals: usually meat, grains, vegetables, cheese. Fruit or cake for
dessert. Usually, meals
are more varied than in the US, especially since we eat real meals (i.e.
more whole foods) at lunch instead of sandwiches.

3. Drinks: it is true that French people drink more red wine, which is
supposed to help prevent
cardiovascular disease, but we drink wine mainly in social occasions (and
not so often at home).
On the other hand, I think the main difference with Americans is that we
consume far less soft drinks
and more water instead.

4. Between meals: we tend to eat less junk food.

5. Fat: we eat less hydrogenated fat. Compare the list of ingredients on a
package of
American food and on a package of French food and you'll be convinced.
Concerning oil,
it is true that some olive oil is consumed, but that's mainly in the South
of France (at most 1/4
of the population).

6. Packaged foods are usually less processed in France than in the US
(compare the length of
lists of ingredients).

7. Portion sizes: VERY significantly smaller in France (order a piece of
pizza or a meal in a Chinese
restaurant in both countries and you'll see the difference).

8. Organ meats: we do eat some (pâté), but not so much and not so often.

P.S. When I say "we" in the text above, I am actually not including myself
since my diet is
mainly raw Paleo.