PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Schubert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 19:38:28 +1000
Bob

You are speculating as to whether it might be a good idea to soak tubers
overnight to presumably rid them of some of the anti-nutritive factors.
Herbalists call this a cold infusion (like a cup of tea made with cold
water, usually soaked overnight).  The aim is to extract water soluble
chemicals that may be heat-labile.  I would therefore suggest that it might
not be such a good idea, given that along with various vitamins and
carbohydrates, you are likely to extract a whole host of substances which
may not be so user friendly - e.g. tannins, mucilages, gums, some
glycosides, minimal but detectable alkaloids and essential oils.  It would
naturally depend on the chemical profile of the tuber.

list about the practices of raw fooders such as myself of soaking overnight
and/or sprouting seeds, nuts, or even grains to neutralize the
anti-nutritive factors (chiefly digestive enzyme inhibitors, I understand)
contained in these foods.  . . . .  I admit I have not tried this method
with tubers, however, and wonder whether there might be something to gain
from doing it with them too.  Any comment?

Michael

Michael Schubert
School of Natural and Complementary Medicine
Southern Cross University
P.O. Box 157, Lismore, N.S.W. 2480, Australia
Telephone (02) 6620 3649 or International + 61-2-6620 3649
Facsimile (02) 6620 3647 or International + 61-2-6620 3647
Visit us at <http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/ncm/index.html>