PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 07:16:46 -0500
One of our lurking researchers was kind enough to send me reference to the
following article on the Boxgrove Site excavation, written by the
excavation's director Mark Roberts and published in BRITISH ARCHAOLOGY late
last year. A tantalizing tidbit:

 >Hunting at this period of our hominid ancestry is a controversial subject.
 >From the late 1960s to the present day, the concept of
 >`Man the Hunter' has become less popular with academics studying the Lower
 >Palaeolithic, with the alternative of carcass-scavenging being proposed as
 >the major way in which hominids procured their meat.
 >
 >The evidence from Boxgrove, however, suggests strongly that the hominids of
 >the period did hunt their meat.

There's more detail in the article, which is worth a look.  Fire up your
web browser and point it to:

http://britac3.britac.ac.uk:80/cba/ba/ba18/ba18feat.html#roberts

The article is apparently part of a series.  The next part, entitled "And
then came clothing and speech," appears here:

http://britac3.britac.ac.uk:80/cba/ba/ba19/ba19toc.html

 -=-=-

Once in a while you get shown the light/
 In the strangest of places if you look at it right   ---Robert Hunter

http://www.syndicomm.com/esmay