PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:47:42 -0400
Dana Carpender wrote:

I was required to argue both sides, so I spent
> *hours* searching PubMed for any evidence that those 6-11 servings of
> grain per day were good for *anything* -- I ran "carbohydrate
> hypertension" "carbohydrate atherosclerosis" "carbohydrate NIDDM," etc,
> etc, etc.  I found some evidence that if you're going to eat all that
> starch, you'd do best to limit fats.  But I found *nothing* to convince
> me there was *any* benefit to eating all that carbohydrate in the first
> place.
>
> Dana  (8 1/2 years low carbing, and still alive and healthy, thank you.)

One problem with this research approach: you used carbohydrate, not types of
foods or specific foods, to drive your search (at least as you presented it
here).

You could come up with nothing using this approach, but if you searched
using classes of food or specific foods that happen to be rich in
carbohydrate you could find different results.

Examples would be:

"fruit hypertension"  "fruit atherosclerosis" "fruit IHD"

"vegetables hypertension" "sweet potatoes hypertension"

"whole grains atherosclerosis" "whole grains hypertension" "whole grains
IHD" "whole grains NIDDM"

I just searched medline with "whole grains and NIDDM".

This way I found studies linking whole grains with reduced all cause
mortality, reduced insulin levels, and reduced risk of diabetes, IHD,
ischemic stroke, just in the first ten items retrieved.

Don