PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Loren Cordain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 10:05:00 -0600
Let me first respond to Lorraine Heidecker's questions of May 6.

        In 1962, JV Neel first proposed that diabetes mellitus might be
due to the presence of a "thrifty genotype" that previously had
selective advantage to  hunter gatherer populations, but was later
rendered detrimental with the advent of "civilized" or "westernized"
environments (1).   Neel further hypothesized that this "genotype" arose
as a response to periodic "feast" and "famine" conditions  that were
presumably endemic in hunter gatherer societies.  Individuals with the
"thrifty genotype" were selected, presumably because they were able to
make more efficient utilization of food resources than individuals
lacking this genotype.   Neel (2)  suggested that members of societies
who had the thrifty gene were characterized by increased response of
insulin to ingested food, leading to increased deposition of adipose
tissue.   This increase in stored energy would enable such individuals
to function better and survive longer during periods of low energy.
The thrifty gene would increase over time and survive as long as there
were marked fluctuations in food availability.    Neel did not
specifically state that the "thrifty genotype" arose exclusively as a
response to carbohydrate availability in the diet, however he did not
necessarily preclude this possibility in part (3).
        A few likely genes which may comprise portions of the "thrifty
genotype" have been identified, including the gene coding for the
protein, glycogen synthase (4), which facilitates the storage of glucose
in skeletal muscle; however, by and large, the genetic basis for
hyperinsulinemia in susceptible populations remains elusive.