PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dick Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 19:01:46 -0500
anciently Todd Moody wrote:

>>> puzzle is the Bellevue experiment of 1928 in which Vilhjalmur
>>> Stefansson and Karsten Andersen ate only meat for a year.  A study

[..]

> I mentioned that Stefansson preferred lamb while Andersen preferred
> beef.  The fatty acid composition of these meats are somewhat
> different.  I believe that even in 1928 cows for slaughter were more
> likely to be grain-fattened than were lambs.  Recent discussions on
> this list suggest the hypothesis that this could have been relevent;
> I would gladly hear other opinions on this.

Perhaps already considered by now but: 'lamb' suggests very young
animals.  Most modern Americans don't like mutton.  A young animal
might not have developed heavy muscle tissue saturation with various
fatty results of grain feeding.  The 'beef' that Andersen preferred
was perhaps from 2 - 4 year old animals that might have had time to
accumulate substantially different fatty acids.

2 guys is a rather small study.  !  Perhaps a larger sample and
involving reliable and consistent allocations of meat types including
buffalo (Bison bison), venison, other deer species, antelope, range
fed beef, feedlot beef, veal, mutton, lamb, turkey, chicken, ostrich
etc. could yield further info.

Perhaps preparation technique will be a factor: roasts, fried steaks,
char broiled steaks, jerked meat etc.

I'll volunteer for the buff or venison if someone's got a grant.  :)