PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Balzer, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:44:17 +1000
http://www.sciam.com/special/toc.cfm?issueid=11&sc=rt_nav_list

Scientific American have a special on human evolution which has something to
offend just about everybody.

There are article on many aspects including diet, childbirth etc. I haven't
read much of it yet, but thought I'd post it up as it won't be on the news
stands much longer.

The article on "if humans were built" to last focuses on the (totally
incorrect) assumptions of western medicine that diseases like osteoporosis
and osteoarthritis are inevitable (and presumably of genetic origin). Indeed
I thought the paleopathological evidence was clear that osteoarthritis was
rare (aside from in a spear throwing elbow or next to a fracture), and that
osteoporotic fractures were only found in Inuit (which may relate to their
extreme diet). I hope one day that this article may be used by medical
historians to show how blinkered thinking was in our day.

Dr Ben Balzer [log in to unmask]
109 Morgan St
Beverly Hills 2209
NSW Australia
Tel (02) 95023355 Fax (02) 95024243 Int'l prefix(+612)