PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 13:18:28 -0400
Recently, I discovered that the welcome message sent to new subscribers of
this list was mixed up.  Somehow, the welcome message for the
LOW-CARBOHYDRATE TECHNICAL DISCUSSION LIST was being sent to new
subscribers of the PALEOLITHIC DIET & EXERCISE SYMPOSIUM.  I recently fixed
this error; I'm not sure how long it's been going on.

I've received a few messages from people who were confused by this in the
last few days, but I'm not sure how long the problem was going on before
that.

For those of you who received the erroneous welcome message, here is the
proper group charter & welcome message for this symposium:

[Important!  PLEASE save a copy of this message in a handy place in, on or
near your computer.  You may need to refer to it again in the future if you
have any questions or problems with the Paleolithic Nutrition list.]

WELCOME!

You have been added to the Paleolithic Diet Symposium list.  This is a
semi-moderated, semi-formal discussion group on the nature, benefits and
drawbacks of pre-agricultural diet and lifestyles, and their potential
application to modern life.

We strongly suggest that all new subscribers point their web browsers at
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/paleodiet.html and bookmark that
page. This page contains the complete archives of all messages ever posted
to the Paleodiet Symposium.  As a new subscriber you should probably review
recent messages on this web site to catch up on discussions.

The primary objective of the list is to provide a forum for communication
and discussion among investigators of pre-agricultural nutrition.  It is
hoped that this forum will facilitate discussion of both published and
unpublished findings and ideas, foster potential collaborations between
investigators, and develop into an information resource.

If you are knowledgeable in this field, we encourage you to share your
thoughts and information with us. Messages or questions sent to the list
should be based on research. Because the concept of paleolithic nutrition
covers many fields, discussion may at times seem free-ranging; nutrition,
biology, paleontology, anthropology, and other areas of science all touch
on this subject.  But any message is potentially of value so long as it
serves to provide illumination in a substantive manner to the subject of
evolution and the human diet.

The Paleolithic Diet Symposium is primarily intended for researchers, but
accepts others who have a well-defined need or interest, including
physicians or nutritionists.  Even members of the lay public will be
allowed to read the messages from this list.  However, the list is
moderated, and only messages submitted by those with appropriate credentials,
or demonstrating significantly advanced understanding of the subject
under discussion, will be distributed to the list membership. Debate is
welcome and even encouraged, but only in a form which demonstrates a serious
level of understanding of the subject area.

(In short, your message only goes to the list if the moderators agree that
you know what you're talking about and aren't wasting people's time. With
all that said, please do not be timid if you believe you have meaningful
question to ask or appropriately supported data to share.)

If you know of other persons who might have a legitimate interest in this
list, we encourage you to tell them about it.  The more accumulated
knowledge and wisdom that we can pool here, here more useful this resource
will become.

 -=-=-

RULES FOR SENDING MESSAGES TO THE LIST:
---------------------------------------

1.  Include only relevant lines from messages you are quoting. Including a
complete message wastes resources and readers' time.

2. Do not contact the Postmaster, or anyone else at St. Johns with
questions or complaints about our list.  The computer staff at St.Johns
maintains hundreds of internet discussion groups and cannot get involved in
individual accounts.  They have also, as an overall legal policy, delegated
complete authority over this List to the listowners.

3. If you decide to remain subscribed to this mailing list, your doing so
indicates agreement by you to the all the policies outlined in this Welcome
message, including the terms and conditions to be found in the following
two paragraphs.  PLEASE unsubscribe from this list if you are unable to
agree.

4. Neither the PALEODIET List forum leaders/owners, their employers, nor
any subscribers or other contributors can be held liable in any way for any
information and/or data obtained in any way from this list; nor shall there
be any liability for any information construed as missing from anything
obtained from this list.

5. By your use of this mailing list, you agree to hold harmless the
PALEODIET List forum leaders/owners, their employers, subscribers, and all
other contributors against ANY AND ALL CLAIMS arising out of such use,
regardless of the cause, effects, or fault.

If you do not agree to the provisions of the two paragraphs immediately
above, or with any other policy included in this Welcome message, please
unsubscribe from the PALEODIET list immediately. (see below)

 -=-=-

PALEODIET LIST ADDRESSES:
-------------------------

The following e-mail addresses are used in relation with this list:

1. The list address:  [log in to unmask]

    Messages sent to this address go to all list members. This is
    called "posting" to the list.

    You can only post to the list from the account under which you are
    subscribed.  If your post is rejected for no apparent reason,
    contact Dean Esmay at [log in to unmask]

2. The listserv address:  [log in to unmask]

    This is the address to which you sent your subscription request,
    and it should be used for all requests that can be handled
    automatically by the LISTSERV program.  This includes changing
    your name or address, unsubscribing, changing your subscription
    options, retrieving files from the file server, searching the list
    archives, etc.  You will find a list of the most commonly used
    LISTSERV commands in the next section.

3. The listowners' addresses:

Primary Owner: Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>

Co-Owners:     Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
               Staffan Lindeberg <[log in to unmask]>

    These are the people in charge of keeping the list running.  If
    you have ANY problem that you cannot solve with LISTSERV commands,
    contact one of the listowners.

COMMON LISTSERV COMMANDS:
letter addressed to [log in to unmask] (NOT to the paleodiet
address) and it will be taken care of.

This is not a complete list of commands, but should include every command
you might need.

Remember to send commands to [log in to unmask];
don't send them to [log in to unmask], which is the
address where you post messages for everyone else to read.

The common commands are as follows:

1.  SIGNOFF PALEODIET

This command removes you from the PALEODIET list.

list.  You are still able to post messages to the list.  This is useful if
you have more than one mail account (so you can post messages from any
account but only read from one), or if you want to leave the list
temporarily (e.g. when going on vacation).  Use "SET PALEODIET DIGEST" to

receiving a daily digest.  You will receive each message as it is
posted. To return to digest, use SET PALEODIET DIGEST.

----------

4.  INDEX PALEODIET

This returns a list of all the PALEODIET files available from the file
server, including our archives of previous messages.

---------

5.  GET

This retrieves a named file from the file server, eg. GET PALEODIET
LOG703 will retrieve the March 1997 (97 = year, 03 = month) archive of
all message traffic to the PALEODIET list.

----------

6.  INFO

Returns a complete list of LISTSERV help files.  Send "INFO REFCARD" for a
reference card on LISTSERV commands, to see every command available
(as opposed to this short of common commands).

-----------

Replying to messages
--------------------------

When you reply to a message someone has posted on the PALEODIET list, you
need to give some thought as to where you send the reply.  If it is a
personal reply, or only of interest to a very few people, then you should
send the reply to the individual who posted the message. If you believe
your reply would be of interest to more than a very few list subscribers,
then you should send it to the list. We have set the "reply-to" field in
the message header such that with most mail programs, this happens
automatically.

If you have any questions or problems, please send them directly to me, and
I will try to help you.

With all that out of the way, let me again say, welcome. We hope this list
provides you with a useful resource.

Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>