PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Art De Vany <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:44:12 -0800
My diet contains about 65% of its calories from animal sources,
right in the range Loren Cordain has documented.

It consists of cooked egg whites, fish, chicken, beef, veal, etc.
The rest is made up of fresh vegetables, whole fruit, some nuts,
lots of fresh spices, and olive oil.  I eat WAY beyond 3000 Kcals
per day, but no refined products, manufactured foods, fruit juices,
soft drinks, or grains, potatoes.  I also do not mix fat with carbs,
only fat with protein or carbs with protein in my meals, again
following Loren's discussion and my own reading ancestral
opportunistic feeding patterns.

I eat less fat than most paleo eaters, no rinds, bacon is
drained, trimmed meat grilled over fire to rend out fat, boiled egg
whites with fresh fruit for breakfast (with a yolk or two, but
tossing most yolks), ham steaks, pork chops or whatever I feel like
and haven't eaten recently.  I go for free range animal sources as
much as is practical (and affordable)

I often skip a meal (maybe twice a  week) as though hunting is
lean.  I may eat nothing but fruit some  mornings.  Other times
nothing but meat.  Snacks of fresh fruits and lean meat such as
smoked turkey.  The
quantities of food I eat are prodigious (and expensive).

But, I carry so much lean body mass (203 lbs, less than 8% body
fat) that my basal metabolism consumes something like 2800 Kcals per
day .  And, using the Ache' to approximate my activity level (a
model I follow in my evolutionary fitness system), I expend about
4800 Kcals per day.

Total cholesterol in the mid 150s to mid 160s.  Triglcerides/HDL
about 0.68.  Scans of my carotid show a completely clear vessel of
very large cross section.  All this at age 60.

Arthur De Vany
Professor
Institute for Mathematical Behavioral Sciences
3151 Social Science Plaza
Irvine, CA  92697-5100
714-5269
http://www.socsci.uci.edu/mbs/personnel/devany/devany.html