PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
M E Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 08:23:26 +1200
While I know nothing about fat in the diet I wonder if the short life of
the Eskimos in question might have been caused in some part by the use
of fat burning lamps, which heated the winter houses, where the smoking
of the fat would have left a deposit of carbon on the interior surface
of the lungs and affected the eyes?
I have read  somewhere that there have been studies of the "mummies" of
women and babies found in Greenland or somewhere like that. The women
seemed to have died as the result of breathing the smoke for long hours.
Their eyes were also affected,I think.
This may have been a factor in all primitive dwelling where the fire or
heating source was inside the dwelling especially the small winter
houses of northern people. The invention of the chimney must have
contributed to health as well as comfort.

Sorry there is still fat in the post !

M E Wood