PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:35:26 -0400
Perhaps the French eating more organ meats and root vegetables is part of
their better health. Also for the Greeks. Organ meats and root vegetables
are strongly featured in hunter gatherer diets- I strongly encourage them as
firstly I suspect they  are important to good health and secondly I don't
like Paleo diets being diets of exclusion- if one concentrates too much on
what NOT to eat one gets monotony, so these give us some room to broaden the
diet (even if many people find turnips and liver unappetising, that is their
freedom to choose). I was never able to find the antioxidant levels of root
vegetables despite a thorough search. The lacklustre reputation of root
vegetables may have left them unfairly ignored by the biochemists.

As for eating more slowly, it seems to me that the French Greeks and
Italians talk a lot more whilst eating (dare I say using their hands to
gesticulate might further slow things a bit). Has anyone seen any research
on whether talking during meals is correlated (positively or negatively)
with overweight ?

Ben Balzer