PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Balzer, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:16:00 +1000
Dear Paleodiet Listowner and fellow members,

As maelstrom will close its mailing list service in January, I would like to
offer an alternative free service for you.

I have recently investigated mailing list software for Trevor Beard and the
low salt crowd with a satisfactory conclusion.
Mailman software is pretty much the universal standard for university mail
lists now. Major-domo is going out. I have a couple of other web lists now
on a Mailman server and it is satisfactory but does not have a search
option. The admin interface is simple to use. I am getting the service free
of charge from some Aussie medical computing experts. The low salt list
works well but we're just going along slowly. Non-commercial lists are
welcome. The server is in Germany. I will try to find out about search
facilities. I suppose a Google window might be set up. (these are can-do
guys).

Alternatively, Professor Cordain may be able to get a mailman list set up at
Colostate. A Google search shows it is in use there in some departments, but
it depends on his department's IT people. It is simple to create lists once
it is installed. If you are an IT addict you can set up Mailman on any
server that copes with Linux. It is free. That is beyond my current
tinkerage level. Also there are expensive commercial services that charge
per email (eg 400 members times 100 posts= 40,000 messages charged).

So please let me know if you want a new list set up. The listowner can be
anyone whom you care to nominate. I am happy to participate as a
co-administrator for a short time if you wish as I have experience with the
interface.

Dr Ben Balzer [log in to unmask]
109 Morgan St
Beverly Hills 2209
NSW Australia
Tel (02) 95023355 Fax (02) 95024243 Int'l prefix(+612)