PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 17:58:02 -0500
At the request of a friend of mine on the Raw-Food listgroup, I'm posting a
few questions here that he put to me on the subject of cooked vs. raw-food
digestibility, in the hopes that someone with a technical background here
will have answers. (References would also be nice, and score you
bragging-rights bonus points. :-) ) Note that those in the all-raw-foodist
camp are intensely skeptical of any reasoning or data that might support
the cooking of food in any way, so should you have something along those
lines, references would be most appreciated where you have them. (Same goes
for opposing views of course, as well.)

I would be interested in any comments/ answers/ musings those with
biochemistry/ physiology backgrounds have on these questions. These are the
types of questions that get asked all the time on groups like the Raw-Food
and Raw listgroups for which no one ever seems to have definitive answers,
and over which much foofaraw is made. It has always been a bit surprising
to me that these questions are also not topics of occasional conversation
here on the Paleodiet group, given their relevance to evolutionary diet. In
any event, they are topics of practical concern among those of us actually
trying to fashion our diets according to some semblance of what the
evolutionary picture of human diet is thought to have been. Again, any
answers welcomed and appreciated. Thanks,

--Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>

P.S. In hopes of stimulating comment (possibly about how erroneous my own
ideas are :-) ) , I will be posting a rather conjectural follow-up reply of
my own to Tom's questions here on the Paleodiet list shortly, should it
make it through Dean Esmay's "B.S." filter.