PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gary Ditta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 1998 13:36:08 -0800
On 5/6 Jennie Brand Miller wrote:

>Our hypothesis, the "carnivore connection", proposes that an
>insulin-resistant genotype evolved to provide survival and reproductive
>advantages to populations adapted to a high meat, low plant food (low
>carbohydrate) nutritional environment.
>Unlike true carnivores, humans have a limited capacity for
>gluconeogenesis even on a high protein diet.  Insulin resistance would
>have maximised gluconeogenesis and redirected glucose away from muscles
>facilitating the preferential utilisation of glucose by the brain,
>fetus and mammary gland.

I hope it's not pressing Jennie too much to enquire a bit more about the
nature of the selective pressure(s) for insulin-resistance. Given the
biochemical and physiological parameters outlined above, exactly how do you
envision a high protein/low carb/low GI h-g diet being disadvantageous in
terms of survival and reproduction for those lacking insulin resistance?
This could have some measure of practical significance for modern-day
individuals thinking of adopting a heavily meat-based h-g diet if they have
no tendency toward insulin resistance.

Gary Ditta