PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
M E Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 13:35:56 +1300
> Date:    Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:40:10 -0500
> From:    Dick Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Teeth
>
> ancient email:
> Syracuse Univ. physical anthro and human variation courses assert
> that shovel shaped incisors are nearly universal in Asiatic humans.
> This includes nearly all 'native' Americans.  Excepting probably poor
> bedivviled Mr Kenniwick.
> <clip>

> It's a longitudinal groove in the back face of the incisors roughly
> half the width of the tooth but somewhat variable.

I had read  some time ago that the shovel incisor was considered to be
diagnostic of   Northern Eurasian people and that SE Asian people did
not have the same incidence.
I think that the shovel incisor was coupled with a small peg molar as an
indicator of geographical origin.
Does anyone know if this view  is still current?
Do Polynesian peoples ever show this dentition pattern?
 Has the shovel incisor any advantages over the plainer incisor? Is it
stronger? Is it more useful as a tool for processing such items  as
food and sinews, skins. In other words, does it give an advantage? Or is
a family trait?

ME Wood