PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gary Ditta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:51:57 -0800
>On another newslist, I saw the actual cholesterol levels of these men
>posted.  Both were over 300 at the conclusion of the experiment.  I would
>hardly call that "normal."  Mine is 152.
>
>Bob Avery ([log in to unmask])

The original data for the total cholesterol values of Stefansson and
Anderson during the Bellevue experiment are to be found in the following
reference: Tolstoi, E. (1929) J Biol Chem 83: 753-758. The starting value
(before meat diet) for Stefansson was 263, that for Andersen was not
determined. The last value taken while still on the meat diet, one year
later, was 211 for Stefansson and 415 for Andersen. Two weeks later, after
eating a general diet, Stefansson's value was 218. After 4 weeks of general
diet Andersen's was 200.

It was noted that the plasma of the men showed a cloudiness at the
beginnning of the experiment due to the increased fat intake (lipemia) of
the all meat diet.  This was also noted during the experiment for Andersen.
The fat intake for the two men was listed at 200-300 g/day. One thing to
keep in mind is that this range of values would allow for a sizable
difference in the amount of fat consumed by the two men, if Stefansson were
eating at the low end Andersen at the high.

I hope this digression does not detract from Todd's very interesting
question about the possibility of different populations being
differentially adapted to agricultural diets.

Gary Ditta