PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 19:37:30 -0400
In reading Dr. Heidecker's note, I find myself confused.  The implication
appears to be that hunting done by men is largely unnecessary and that they
could bring in more food by gathering and chasing small game close at hand.
If this is so, why would men bother hunting?  Would it not conflict with
Optimal Foraging Theory to have men regularly devoting large amounts of
time and energy, and taking significant risks, to chase after unreliable,
not-particularly-valuable food sources?

I would be interested in any references on this.